- About two BILLION pounds of oysters are eaten every year
- Oysters are able to change their sex, and do at least once in their lifetime
- The mollucks contain great nutritional value: including vitamin C,D,B1,B2 and B3. If you were to eat four oysters a day you would get the recommended daily value for calcium, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc!
- These animals can filter up to five liters of water every hour, that is why an oyster takes on the taste of the water it was grown in
- Oysters have gills like fish, taking in the waters oxygen and disposing carbon monoxide. The little oyster also has a stomach, intenstines, a heart that pumps clear blood, and kidneys that clean impurities from their blood!
- If a clam is not harvested to eat, on average they can live 33 to 36 years- but a giant clam can live ovr 150 years!
- There are over 12,000 species of clams
- The clam has only two goals in life: to eat and reproduce. This is where we get the phrase "Happy as a clam". Ironically clams do not have brains so they have no pleasure in either of their two functions.
- These mollucks are low in fat and high in protein. They also have great minerals like selenium, zinc, iron, magnesium and B vitamins which make it a healthy choice
- Fish are cold blooded animals
- The largest fish is the Whale Shark which comes in at over 65 feet long and weighs almost 40 tons
- Fish do not have 3D vision like humans because their eyes are on either side of their head- yet this strengthens their other senses like smell and taste
- Most brands of lipstick contain fish scales!
- Fish change their sex due to pollution, and an estimated one third of male fish in British waters are changing sex due to human sewage
- If a fish tried to chew it's food it would suffocate because this would interfere with water passing over the gills
- Mussels have been cultivated for about 800 years in Europe and have been a food source for over 2,000 years
- Pearls can be cultivated from fresh water mussels
- These animals only feed on planktin and can filter 65 liters of water per day
- Don't be concerned if your mussels have different colored meat; a male has pale white meat and a female has a more orangy color
Steamers (Soft Shell Clam)
- This soft shell clam can grow up to six inches long
- In Massachusetts the mollucks can live around 12 years
- An adult can filter up to 4 liters of water per hour
- These animals have a lot of predators including the blue crab, horseshoe crab, snails, starfish, some fish and black ducks.